Sunday, January 1, 2017

Minimalist PT Explained

At the risk of repeating myself, I feel it necessary to clarify this idea of minimalist physical therapy before pushing forward with posting a bunch of stuff.

I had a bit of an epiphany when I was visiting my friend's running store today.  That running store, Charm City Run was just voted the best running store of 2016.  Part of the criteria for being named store of the year was involvement in the community and charitable contributions.  The Charm City Run slogan for those that don't know is "Live.Give.Run".

That's when it hit me -- not the live or run parts.  I already do that, I think, but the word GIVE.  It was at that moment that I realized what this is all about; why I feel so compelled to pursue this venture.  I want to be able to GIVE something of value that goes well beyond the four walls I practice in every day.  I wanted a way to reach people beyond my zip code and a way to reach people that may not have the access, time or resources to be able to commit to several sessions of traditional physical therapy.

 I have spent 20+ years in the business of GET.  GET referrals, GET visits, GET new patients, GET reimbursement, GET paid, GET patients to refer other patients, GET the word out about the practice, etc.  Honestly, this business of GET has been marginally successful.  So why not try something completely different and opposite?  How about GIVE?  How much information, help can I GIVE, regardless of what I GET out of it.

I am by no means Saint Theresa.  I have not toiled in squalor solely to help better others' lives.  I have a pretty decent middle class existence.  I like having things.  I like making money in order to buy things.  I also have found that chasing "things" has not proven to be particularly successful or satisfying.  So why not spend some time trying to give away some stuff.  That stuff being knowledge, experience, self-help tips - not mine necessarily, but those of patients, fellow providers, etc.

So what's the BHAG?  Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal?

The challenge I have made to myself and continue to make to myself is this:  Can I figure out enough in 1 visit to give someone what they need in order for them to make themselves better without having to return?  I guarantee you that won't work for everyone.  That's not the point.  The point, however, is how much can I GIVE the patient to do and take myself out of the equation.  Do they REALLY need to see me "x" times per week or is there more THEY can do?  That in a nutshell is minimalist physical therapy.

I am fully aware that motivation, learning ability, cognitive ability, education level, socioeconomic status, etc. can ALL effect the ability to give more responsibility and power to the patient.  I am also aware that this does NOT work for some and maybe never will.  Hell, this blog may never be read by anyone other than me and my wife who gets the wonderful task of editing.  But why not try?  Why not try to spare people's time and resources?  Sure, the more I see someone, the more I make.  But how cool to be able to help someone WITHOUT seeing them.  Hmmmm.  Not the model I was taught in PT school.

I guess at this stage of my career I am interested in doing things differently.  I am interested in reaching more people and providing a resource or conduit of information from which others can benefit.  An interest in providing substance and what is REAL, not marketing hype and self promotion.

That is the essence of minimalist physical therapy -- do more with less.

Because this site is geared toward providers AND patients, the content will be written such that any lay person could understand it.  The benefit of this site will be lost if the content is overly technical.  As stated my first post, Welcome/Mission Statement, this is intended to be a resource, not a scholarly publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment